2005-07-30 / Top News

Hammers and Anvils Coming to Island Aug. 6

Dave Schmidt, the blacksmith at the Benjamin Blacksmith Shop on Market Street, is

working on flag cleats for flagpoles at Fort Mackinac. He looks forward to hosting the

Blacksmith Convention on the Island Saturday, August 6.

Dave Schmidt, the blacksmith at the Benjamin Blacksmith Shop on Market Street, is working on flag cleats for flagpoles at Fort Mackinac. He looks forward to hosting the Blacksmith Convention on the Island Saturday, August 6. The sound of forge and anvils will be ringing down Market Street Saturday, August 6, as Mackinac State Historic Parks hosts the 21st Annual Benjamin Blacksmith Convention. More than 25 blacksmiths from throughout Michigan will be participating this year, from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m., at the Benjamin Blacksmith Shop on Market Street. Spectators will have the opportunity to observe and talk to the blackmiths as they work on fence and railing projects and give demonstrations on forming hot iron into hinges, hooks, handles, and other items.

The original blacksmith shop belonged to Robert Benjamin and a partner, and was begun in 1885, when it was called the Star Blacksmith Shop. It remained in the Benjamin family and in operation until about 1965. The contents were donated to Mackinac State Historic Parks in 1968 and used in the blacksmith exhibit next to the Biddle House.

Return to top

Click here for digital edition
2005-07-30 digital edition