2010-05-15 / Looking Back

Looking Back

50 YEARS AGO

The Republican-News and St. Ignace Enterprise

May 12, 1960

Building and cleaning up is the order of business at the Island these days. Robert Hughey, “Little Bob,” is adding to his present restaurant. Contractor James Francis is doing the work. The Murray store, formerly used by Sara Neary's East and West shop, this summer will house a new candy store, Ryba Mackinac Fudge. In the other side of the Neary store James Dennany will open up an ice cream parlor. The Nearys have moved their own store across to their own building, the former Carriage Lantern. Selma's and Murdick Candy store are all shining white and prparing for the opening and the first boat on May 17. Betty's Gift Shop is preparing to open. Shama gift and Arbib are open. Helen Bogan will have her shop open and the Benjamins will have their town and dock shop open. Alford's drug store this week removed the soda fountain from the store, thus making more room for Mr. Alford's Rexall products. So when the S. S. South American blows her welcome whistle on the 17th of May the Island will be officially open for the summer business and daily tourist season. At this time the Chippewa Hotel has its first group of Youth Cruisers, arriving Saturday to remain one night. Mackinac life boat station has had its annual work out session this past week. We have had one of those foggy weeks, with rain. At least we haven't had snow, but we are all hoping that if the weather has to be this way at this time perhaps we can all look forward to a nice warm summer. True Islanders can always say we are always happy to hear the fog signal from Mackinac Island life boat station at the opening of navigation.

•••

A handbook, which has received the largest simultaneous distribution any publication has known, will reach every home in Michigan this week. The 32-page booklet, “Ideology and Co-Existence,” has already gone to 75 million homes in 24 languages throughout the free world.

Prepared last fall at the Moral Re-Armament Assembly Center at Mackinac Island, this manifesto expresses in clear terms the ideology of democracy and presents an answer to materialism and Communism.

It is designed to cut through the confusion about co-existence and put the free world on the offensive with the winning idea.

Admiral William H. Standley, former United States Ambassador to Moscow and Chief of Naval Operations, . . . says, “Moral Re-Armament is a continuation of the American Revolution on a world scale. The choice for America is Moral Re-Armament or Communism.”

•••

The auxiliary members of the Mackinac Island medical center, on Wednesday held open house in the basement of the medical center, also a bake sale. The basement has been finished, giving Islanders a view of their medical center.

80 YEARS AGO The St. Ignace Enterprise

May 15, 1930

The citizen's Military Training Camp at the Soo will be named Camp Charles E. Follis in honor of Capt. Chas. E. Follis of the 32nd Division, now deceased.

One street of the camp is to be named Belongea St. in honor of the late Sergeant Wm. A. Belongea of Company M. 125th Infantry, 32nd Division who was killed in action on October 8, 1918. Sergeant Belongea was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for action Northeast of Chateau Thierry, France on July 31, 1918. He was the son of the late Clement Belongea and wife and the local post of the American Legion is named in his honor.

•••

The popular Mackinac Cafe opened last week. The entire interior has been redecorated ,making it a most attractive place to dine.

•••

Chief of Police Gallagher returned this week to day duty and to supervise the operations of the D. P. W.

G. M. Shine is again night patrolman.

•••

The links of the Wawashkamo Golf Club are undergoing their spring overhauling. Frank J. Dufina the pro in charge has a crew of several men doing the work.

•••

Gus Edwards and his orchestra of Chicago are booked to play the entire season at the Grand.

•••

A C-E Rum chaser was active in this vicinity the first part of the week.

••• J. Deuzer and sons, Ford and Orlens, have resigned from the employ of the Mackinac Island Power Co.

Mr. J. Deuzer's position as engineer at the power plant is now filled by Mr. Spicer, a former employee of the Doherty's.

•••

A new hard coal shed on the Arnold dock is about completed, a good substantial, solidly built structure that should stand for many years.

•••

Repairs have been made to the Davis & sons' fruit store. The fronts of the Davis buildings have also been repainted.

•••

The May issue of the National Republic is of special interest to residents of this section of the peninsula.

Under the caption, “The Expedition of Astoria,” a thrilling tale of the adventures in connection with the settlement of the boundary question of our west coast is told by Gabriel Franchere, a Frenchman who took part while in the employ of John Jacob Astor, is told by Judge Charles H. Chapman of Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. Franchere was the last survivor of the famous expedition of the Astoria. The article illustrated by pictures of Franchere, John Jacob Astor, Peter B. Barbeau, and Major Andrew Hunter Holmes, the latter a gallant officer who was killed at the battle of Mackinac Island.

Return to top

Click here for digital edition
2010-05-15 digital edition