15p1.jpg
“Michilimackinac from Round Island,” by Major Francis Belton, September 1817, is part of the Richard and Jane Manoogian Collection. Fort Mackinac can be seen in the forefront of the Island with Fort Holmes at the peak. This is the only composition that shows Fort Holmes in use. A Native American encampment is shown on the jut of land where Round Island Lighthouse now stands. A steamer can be seen in the traffic of merchant vessels. Steamers were not used in Straits of Mackinac until 1819. According to historian Brian Dunnigan, the steamer was added later by Belton, presumably to modernize the composition. 15p1.jpg


Click here for digital edition
2017-07-14 digital edition