In the background one can see the Bennett (formerly Dousman) Dock, with two long sheds on it. The center dock is the present Arnold Transit (formerly Hurlbert) Dock, which was built in 1852. The dock in the foreground was the government dock serving the fort. At the head of that dock is the federal customs house. This picture is prior to 1870. (Photograph courtesy of TomPfeiffelmann)043p1_xlg.jpg

Click here for digital edition
2005-08-13 digital edition